Labor Day is just around the corner. While we have the day to pay tribute to the contributions and achievements of American workers, it also symbolizes the end of summer for many Americans.
While summer is the time for us to get outside, its end doesn’t have to be the end to our moving either! In fact, September is National Self Improvement Month, so let’s celebrate September with a 15-day Thriving Challenge!
We’ve talked about so often that to thrive in our third age we need to move and continue to learn and grow. This 15 Day challenge is full of simple steps that anyone can take. And isn’t it great to shake things up to see what we can discover about ourselves?
Let’s be honest – the aging process has had a good head start on us and there is no refund for lost time. The hardest part of new habits is getting started, so we want to give you an incentive to get rolling with your new healthier life.
There is no time like the present to get fit enough for the fun and challenging Third Age activities you have planned for yourself.
The best part? You can join us in our private Facebook group to get support from other awesome third agers like yourself and even download the Challenge outline in a PDF to share with family and friends to join with you.
Here’s how this will work:
Every day, for 15 days, we will:
- Walk for at least 10 minutes a day, minimum.
- Read for at least 10 minutes a day, minimum.
This will help us get our minds and bodies more active. Hell yea!
Then, each day, we’ll add these:
- Day 1 – Eat vegetables and fruit at every meal
- Day 2 – Focus on your posture; sitting, standing, and walking
- Day 3 – Get as close to 8 hours sleep as you can
- Day 4 – Remove all refined sugar from your diet
- Day 5 – Start stretching 10 minutes + per day with an online instructor – YouTube.com has plenty of these for free
- Day 6 – Cut back on alcohol if you consume
- Day 7 – Meditate at least 10 minutes a day – YouTube.com has plenty of these for free or you can start with the Headspace documentaries on Netflix
- Day 8 – Make eye contact and smile at everyone you come in contact with, including yourself in the mirror.
- Day 9 – Try a new healthy recipe. There are tons online.
- Day 10 – Quit all soft drinks, regular and diet and drink MORE water.
- Day 11 – Schedule 10 minutes of journaling every day; on paper or online.
- Day 12 – Take at least one photo that means something to you a day with a camera or your phone.
- Day 13 – Quit all fast and processed foods.
- Day 14 – Learn something new.
- Day 15 – Remove complaining, comparing, and criticizing from your life and replace it with appreciation, curiosity, gratitude and self love.
We’d love if you add in each of these to your daily habits as we go, but focus on trying something new each day.
Forming Good Habits
You’ll be amazed at how much better you’ll feel as you work on forming new, healthy habits! Frankly, by the time we get to cutting out fast food, you may not even crave it anymore. 😉
If you want to jump in on the challenge, you can follow along yourself but we’d love for you to join our community! Let’s help each other grow and thrive over the next 15 days!